Monday, December 27, 2021

The week before my travel date!

 Welcome! This is my first post and also my first time to blog.

So...  I'm headed to Harlaxton College located near Grantham in the United Kingdom next week! I am an Associate Professor at Texas Woman's University and have been accepted to teach at Harlaxton College as a Visiting Faculty member for the Spring 2022 semester (Jan-Apr). 

(Harlaxton College - includes classrooms, library, dining, and faculty & student rooms)


I'm excited to be this close to my travel day (Jan 3rd) and also a little nervous due to the rise in the Omicron variant of COVID-19. Christmas was very quiet because I have been trying to stay home and not go anywhere unless it is absolutely necessary. My biggest concern is that I might get this new variant and won't be able to fly as scheduled. However, we've been told that Harlaxton College will work with us if we have to quarantine before we get there, but then as soon as we can arrive in the U.K. we will move forward. 

This week will be busy with determining what to pack for my four months away from home. I've been thinking about this for a while now and slowly preparing and stocking up. (How may tubes of toothpaste do you take for four months??) However, experience has shown me that there will always be things coming up that I hadn't thought about at the last minute. 

The exciting, and harder part, is having learned that my daughter and new her husband are expecting our first grandchild in March! Cissy will be there for the birth and ours  son recently moved there, but I'll need to wait until I return home before being able to go see all of them. Also it's tough preparing to not see Cissy or any of the other family members for the semester. I guess this allows me to plenty of time to work on my classes, learn about England, and we will remain in contact via Zoom.

Fingers crossed that all goes smoothly and I'm planning to post my next blog when I'm at Harlaxton! Happy & Blessed New Years to all!

Ron







2 comments:

  1. Hi Ron!
    How exciting for you and your lucky students! But I do understand your concerns, especially about missing the birth of your first grandchild. Congratulations!! Thank goodness for Zoom! I'm not sure if I signed up for this. I want to, so let me know if I didn't, OK? Blessings on your travel and your time there!
    Love,
    Carol Waxenberg

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Ron,

    Thanks for sharing this with us and allowing us to learn about Harlaxton vicariously. I look forward to reading about your adventures and cultural experiences. Hopefully, your travel will go smoothly and your flight will be uneventful and as germ free as possible. Enjoy some fish and chips when you land :)

    Megan

    ReplyDelete

Final Post for the Spring '22 Harlaxton Semester

I'm home now! The final three days (Saturday through Monday) were a whirlwind of emotions and activity! It was hard to leave the new fri...