I'm home now!
The final three days (Saturday through Monday) were a whirlwind of emotions and activity!
It was hard to leave the new friends I made amongst the staff and my faculty colleagues, but I was truly looking forward to being back home with Cissy, the family and friends. I missed everyone in Texas but made such good friends at Harlaxton. The last four or five days had me constantly swinging from a sense of deep sadness when I thought about leaving everyone at Harlaxton, to then feeling such high levels of joy to be home with Cissy once more and seeing all of the family!
On my return from presenting at The King's School on Wednesday, the only responsibilities I had left was to grade tests and papers, submit grades and attend the Valedictory dinner Thursday night. (Oh yes, and give a five minute speech on behalf of myself and the other faculty member from the "Partner Universities" to the students, faculty and staff.) Having all of those completed Thursday night, there was just packing and then boarding the coach to Heathrow airport - at 2am on Sunday morning!
On Friday, a fellow faculty member (Jimmy Davis) and I went on a 7 mile walk along the public paths near Harlaxton. Then on Saturday, Jimmy, his wife and I went on the 4.5 mile walk along the canal to eat lunch at the Dirty Duck (a beautiful pub along the Grantham canal) for our final time. After lunch we walked outside to be entertained by a group of dancers celebrating St. George's Day (pic below). And our last venture out would not have been complete without stopping at The Gregory (Harlaxton Village pub) for a pint! It was a beautiful day, cool temperatures, slight wind and sun shining bright. So I had to take a few last pictures of the Main Gate and also the Gate House as we walked up to the manor. It was so beautiful seeing green leaves on the trees and bushes, flowers coming up and the fields awash in bright green plants waving as the wind swirled across them. Thinking back to the cold weather, bare trees and shrubs, and brown dirt fields when we arrived in January reminded me that we really were there for two seasons.
Saturday night had us eating dinner in the Refectory at 5:30pm as if all was normal, except for the mixed feelings seen on everyone's faces. Then they served the Big Breakfast at 11pm, checked out of our faculty rooms and we loaded into the coaches at 1:30am. By 2am we were headed to London and arrived about 5am. Why so early you ask? To allow 2-3 hours to check-in for those who had early flights. Of course, it stunk for those with later flights. Me? I had decided to stay overnight and fly home on Monday. (Cissy was in D.C. for a wedding celebration and would also return on Monday. I didn't want to fly home to an empty house Sunday, hence my extra day.) So Sunday was sitting around the airport for several hours, then checking into my hotel, going and getting my COVID test (NEGATIVE!!) and sleeping some.
Although almost all of Europe had removed COVID test requirements, the U.S. still has a requirement to have a negative test (monitored by a health official) taken no earlier than the day before flying to the U.S. I do have to admit I was nervous about getting a positive test result and having to remain in London an extra 3-5 days, but all was good and I was cleared to fly! The flight home on Monday was uneventful, with the one exception that one of my two suitcases did not make the flight. I got it delivered to my home two days later and all was good.
So what did I do for my first meal with Cissy once I returned? Mexican food!! I had not had it during my time in England and missed it so much. So the last picture below is of the two of us, reunited once more, at dinner.
It is interesting how easy it has been to adjust to being home again. Although my mind will often wander back to amazing things I saw or experienced these past four months. The memories may fade some but will never be forgotten. Will I do it again, if Cissy is able to come with me or spend a chunk of time there, then absolutely!
As I end this final blog, I would like to quote the closing sentence from my speech to the students:
"As you prepare to leave, I hope you remember that
a part of you is, and will always be, intertwined with Harlaxton."













No comments:
Post a Comment