Friday, April 22, 2022

Additional Pictures from the Surrounding Countryside - April 2022

These pictures include many I took on walks with a Belmont University professor (Dr. Jimmy Davis) along the Grantham Canal and across various public pathways. The countryside here appears to be mostly flat farmland, but in reality there are these gentle rolling hills. (You notice them when you are walking UP them!)

There are also a few picture from my day in Grantham at The King's School. This 500-year old school serves only boys and among it's many distinguished alumni is Sir Issac Newton. You'll see a picture of graffiti carved into the sandstone window sill of the original building. In the center is "I Newton" where he left his mark while attending the school. (All 20 window sills are covered with carved names of students!)

(I was there to give two presentations to some staff members on resilience, stress and violence.)


I hope that these pictures provide you with a glimpse of the beautiful country I have had the privilege of living in the past four months.

Ron




Direction sign found along the Grantham Canal


Hedges used to separate fields - they do this everywhere!


Typical home in Denton, UK - the closest town to Harlaxton Village.




Swan in her nest along the Grantham Canal


One of the locks located on the canal

Right now there are fields across England covered in these yellow rapeseed plants (used to produce canola oil). Seeing the landscape covered in yellow is so breathtaking!

Several of the faculty and their spouses together with me enjoying dinner at the local pub, The Gregory.


Harlaxton Village church

The green fields in front of Harlaxton - so different from the brown dirt seen here when we first arrived!


Serves 1,000 boys from ages 11-18

Apple tree in the courtyard outside the original building. Although not from the original apple tree, it is a descendent from Newton's famous apple tree. 

Sir Issac's graffiti 












No comments:

Post a Comment

Final Post for the Spring '22 Harlaxton Semester

I'm home now! The final three days (Saturday through Monday) were a whirlwind of emotions and activity! It was hard to leave the new fri...