Caernarfon Castle in Wales is one of several key welsh castles used to protect Wales over many centuries. However, Caernarfon Castle is the location where the Prince of Wales has been crowned the past two centuries, including the current Prince of Wales, Prince Charles. He was crowned by Queen Elizabeth in a nationally televised ceremony in 1958 when he was 10 years old.. (The Prince of Wales is the eldest son of the reigning monarch.) You can see the plexiglass platform jutting out from the side of the castle where he dressed the nations after his coronation ceremony.
This castle is next to a river that used to having sailing ships from around the world coming to its port and further upriver to wade and pick up welsh slate used for tiles and building materials. There are six towers along the castle walls and I climbed up to the top of five of them. I was too tired to attempt the last one! The stairs are very narrow, usually four to six stories high and had a heavy rope as a hand rail. Near the top they became very narrow and I had to be careful with my size 11 shoes on them. :) The views were brilliant and unforgettable. I hope you enjoy these pictures.















No comments:
Post a Comment