Monday, April 18, 2022

Preparing to return home & Leicester Trip - 11 March 2022

I cannot believe that I am leaving this amazing place and returning home in less than a week now! There have been so many brilliant adventures and I've learned so many new things about our awesome world and seen such beauty in England to amaze me forever. 

Has it really been found months??

I am truly ready to get home to be with Cissy and the family once more, that separation has been by far the hardest. Once I return, I will spend several weeks with her and then leave for a short while to spend time with Collin, Tori and her husband Mike - AND MY NEW GRANDDAUGHTER Madison!!

I am sorry for the lack of pictures and updates. It has been busy and although I did go on several trips, I just didn't make the time to update my blog. 

So be prepared now - I will update with several that will contain mostly pictures. Of course, they "speak a thousand words" and who am I to elaborate further? :)


The following were taken on a day-trip to Leicester, the second most diverse city in England after London. It was a wonderful day - visiting the recently discovered grave of King Richard III and the city's center with remnants of their castle. 

King Richard III was the last English king to die in battle. It was in 1485 and he was the last king of the House of York and of the Plantagenet dynasty. His body was brought from the Bosworth battlefield to be displayed in Leicester to prove he had been killed and then buried ignominiously. After years of research, it was believed that his grave was in a monastery, which had been partially demolished and a car park (parking lot) was built on top of it. An archeological dig was authorized and in 2013 his long-lost grave was uncovered when they found a skeleton with curved spinal cord. Through DNA testing compared to confirmed relatives, it was proven to be that of King Richard III,.



The car park is just behind the wall and is still in use today, but the site of his grave is in the dark-covered building located in the center-right of this picture

A holograph of King Richard III's skeleton is projected in the location where it was found











No comments:

Post a Comment

Final Post for the Spring '22 Harlaxton Semester

I'm home now! The final three days (Saturday through Monday) were a whirlwind of emotions and activity! It was hard to leave the new fri...